Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 October 2016

Analysing and Seeing What I Could Use From Other TV Soap Adverts

BBC 1 EastEnders Ad: Kathy's Back

This whole advert is given the feeling of being filmed backwards. This is an idea I have never seen in another advert for a soap opera storyline. Obviously it cannot have all been filmed back-to-front as otherwise when she speaks it wouldn't have matched with words. I also chose to look at this advert as it is in first person - something I've been looking into doing for my TV Soap Opera Trailer.

Script:
Kathy: Ten years ago, I faked my own death, I turned my back on my life, my family, my sons, for a man, but I miss my boys, I won't stay away any longer, they're going to hate me but I'll win them back. I'm coming home because home is where my heart is'
Voice over: Kathy's back, Eastenders, next Friday at 8 on BBC one

I picked up on these features of the advert above:
  • Gives background storyline
'Kathy' says 'Ten years ago, I faked my own death, I turned my back on my life, my family, my sons, for a man'. This gives anybody who didn't watch EastEnders around the year 2000 a recap of what happened. This can allow new people who don't watch EastEnders a gateway into getting into it without needing to research existing storylines as they will already start to understand. It also leads the audience into wanting more into what was so good about the 'man' that she left her life behind for him? Why is she no longer with the 'man' and wanting to go back to her old life?
  • First person (I, me etc.)
This gives the advert a more personal feeling and helps the audience see how much hiding she was alive so difficult. I want to use first person for part of my trailer for the main character to introduce themselves as I think it'll make it stand out in comparison to other soap operas that may be looked at as similar, being that it'll be prodominately filmed in school, sixth form.
  • Introduces characters
'Kathy' covertly introduces her sons (or 'boys') in this advert by saying 'I turned my back on my life, my family, my sons, for a man, but I miss my boys'. When 'sons' is said we see Ben Mitchell (her on-screen youngest son) and when 'boys' is said we see Ian Beale (her on-screen eldest son).
  • Gives insight into her character
Kathy shows how determined she is as a character by saying things like 'I won't stay away any longer, they're going to hate me but I'll win them back'. Script is a very important part of any advert as this is the audiences first impression, usually, of that product or service. I will do a post soon on script alone.
  • Introduces where she's from
Calling Albert Square 'home' shows the audience she is an original EastEnders character and shows people iconic buildings of Walford such as the Queen Vic pub. 
  • Voice over gives day, time, programe & channel
Very important to let the person viewing know the main details so they can watch it. Otherwise the trailer will have been pointless.






2 comments:

  1. A very thorough analysis. I like the backwards concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very thorough analysis. I like the backwards concept.

    ReplyDelete