Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 April 2017

Ancillary task: TV listings magazine cover

I will put these pictures into a Slideshare format when I get access to a computer (this has been typed from my iPad)
Also on Blogger's IOS app you cannot post drafts as actual posts so I will do this when accessing a computer as this post is basically finished. 

Below is my initial TV listings magazine cover. I followed the layout template I made at the start of the year closely. It was good to have this template as it allowed me to focus more on the content than where what should go. I used a mixture of Microsoft Powerpoint, Graphic Autodesk and Adobe Photoshop to edit and make this. First I made the blue background, this is to the same scale as other TV Choice magazines, it is a simple blue rectangle with a slight gradient of a lighter blue outing getting ever so slightly darker blue in the middle. I then got the PNG of the TV Choice logo from Google Images, this came with the white surrounding glow with fades to transparent which looks really effective so I was very happy to use this. I edited the date it is correct for in a similar font to what TV choice normally use onto their logo (13-20 March 2017) but as I prodominatly made this last week I had to guess a little what the story lines would be for each show. Next I made the surrounding clutter of the magazine, things like the price, and coloured boarders for the images, these were simply made on Powerpoint using the shape tools. I keep up to date with watching EastEnders, The Replcacement and Broadchurch so these titles and subtitle weren't hard to come up with. For the title of 'Secrets to Suicide' I used Graphic Autodesk application and saved that as a PNG to edit onto the rest of it. I also notices TV Choice often uses a paint brush mark for a bit of extra information on the main title, I used this in my listings magazine to give detail on who will (or is thinking to) commit suicide. I cut around my characters with the 'Remove Background' tool on Powerpoint, this worked just as effectively as the Lasso tool I also tried on Photoshop, both look quite ineffective but once I had rephotographed Molly this didn't seem s obvious, more on this below.
 
However although I think this works well, Molly Bishop's ('Melody Blake's) head has a lot of light reflecting off the top compared to Harry's ('Nathan's') & Pixie's ('Jasmine's) and it is obvious they weren't taken in the same place. I also had to add more of Molly's green top to her sides because otherwise there was a too much blue background, consequently making her look very overweight, which she is not. Because of this, I re-took the photo of Molly and edited that on, to solve the blue background problem I moved Harry ('Nathan') next to Molly. I also got rid of the 'Crufts' feature as it didn't seem to fit with the all dramatic soaps/dramas surrounding it and makes the cover look more cluttered. Below is this version:
 
Although I think this looks a lot better than the original one, I was unsure my characters looked realistic enough to be on the cover of a TV listings magazine, I wondered whether their imperfections (moles, spots, scars etc.) made them look too young and therefore then used the 'Blemish' tool on the photo editing application 'Avairy' to almost 'airbrush' them a little, this version is below and I actually thing it does make the magazine cover look more professional.
All that is left to do is to make the pink lettering of 'BROADCHURCH' to be the same size as the yellow box, it is on computer screens when I edit it but isn't when I save the image as a JPG or a PNG, I will probably just make the lettering and the box different objects and try saving it from there. I also am going to change the Broadchurch headline to 'What is Trish Hiding?' as this is more suggestive that 'she IS' rather than an 'is she?'. Excluding these minor points I am very happy with how the TV listings magazine cover has turned out and think it looks really good and current.

No comments:

Post a Comment